Kik said to be the most popular instant messaging app when it was released back in 2010. It records millions of daily active users from all around the world. The popularity behind the Kik is because of its features, which allow users to send and receive messages, stickers, pictures, GIF, Emojis, Meme, Meet new people, and more. Not only that, but the users can also play games with friends in the app.
Despite all those good features, Kik also has some drawbacks such as slow user interface, crashing, bugs and error, and other frequent technical issues. The problem starts after a new update, which was back in 2016. A company said that they had solved the issues, but many users are still having trouble in the Kik messenger still these days. So, if you are one of them, then calm down because we have provided some of the helpful tips to fix Kik not working issues.
Okay, let’s get started.
Is it Safe to Use Kik?
Kik messenger gets the most sensational things among teenagers, especially in Canada and the United States. People can register on the Kik without the Phone number, that’s why it is considered as the Anonymous chat messaging app. Users can talk to anyone around the world without showing their real identities.
Kik allows people above 13 years old to use the app. So it is common to find the users below 18 years. Due to this act, there is a controversy that Kik has been involved in numerous child sexual exploitation. So, we can’t say that it is quite a safe app to use for teenagers.
Moreover, after introducing the Meet New People feature, it is even more private to have a conversation with unknown people. In this case, lots of people are sharing their private information such as photos, videos, and more with them after talking. This leads to misuse of private things. Not every person you meet on Kik are good, some of them may have bad intention.
Besides, Kik itself said that it doesn’t share any user’s personal information with others. All the messages which are sent or receive will get deleted from its server. They also state that they are working on constantly improving the privacy and the safety measure on the app so that the user can feel secure. This is a good sign for Kik in the future, but we still recommend you to not share your any personal things that can ruin your life. Expect for this; it is a fun app to use.
Reported Issues on Kik
Kik is the famous messaging app, but over the year, the app’s growth is gradually in the declining state. That’s because of the insecurity of user privacy and the frustrating error and app issues. Not every user is facing the same issues on the app; it differs from person to person. Some are having a difficult time in an account (inside the app), registration, and others in connection. But here are the most common issues reported by the Kik users. Have a little look.
- Unable to properly login
- Can’t register a new account.
- Failed to deliver a message.
- Can’t properly open the videos and photos which was sent by friends.
- Constantly keeps crashing without any reason.
- Taking way too much time to deliver a message.
- Keeps freezing while searching for a new friend or someone profile.
- Notifications are on but not working properly the way it used to.
- Unable to properly change both profile and background picture.
- Stuck on the way while responding to the incoming messages.
- Can’t access in some of the devices.
Why Kik Not Working?
If you are facing the above-listed issues, then it could be the first reason why your Kik is not working properly. Apart from that, Kik also verges to shut down its messaging app despite of having millions of active users. So, that it could gain more focus on its Kin Cryptocurrency field. They might have stopped working further on Kik, which could be the second reason regarding the app issues.
Whatever the reason, we are going to fix it with a few simple helpful tips in this section. So, make sure to follow all these methods to solve Kik not working problem no your mobile devices (Android/IOS).
So, let’s move on.
Check for Internet Connection
The Internet is an essential thing to run any social networking app. So, make sure that your mobile internet connection is quite stable. If your Wi-Fi connection is poor or not working properly, then you can face a problem in the app. You can’t smoothly run or use the features of the Kik messaging.
Check your internet speed; if you find it’s not good enough, then you can use your mobile data or switch to another network. If it’s not quite possible for you, then try to restart your home router. Press the small button on the back of the router beside the Ethernet port, leave it for 10 seconds and again start.
Restart the App
In case your Internet is not the issue for Kik not working issue, then restart the Kik app. This means to close your app from the multiple task section and open the app. Sometime, you may not completely open because of some error. Restarting the app helps to reset the app server back to normal.
Turn off and On Your Device
You can also turn your mobile device off and on. But before that, make sure to close your Kik app. It helps to clear all the small errors that are causing on the mobile as well on the Kik app. To turn off your device, press and leave the power button, wait for 5 seconds and unlock the mobile. After that, open the Kik messenger and see whether the problem was solved or not. If not, then move to the next method.
Force Stop the App
When you force stop the app, then it stops instantly from running. Sometimes, it also reset the app server. It is just like restarting the app but works a little bit differently.
So, to force stop the Kik app, follow these few steps down below.
- Move to your mobile settings.
- Scroll down and locate the Application Manager. Once you find it, the tap on it where you can find your entire installed app.
- Now, tap on the Kik app.
- After that, tap on Force Stop and tap on, Ok.
- When the Kik is still running in the background, then move to the home screen.
- Now simply double tap on the home button.
- There, swipe up the Kik messenger, which will force stop the app.
Clear the Kik Cache
Clearing the cache means to delete all the stored data and information from the Kik. It will remove your entire saved contact, chat messages, login data, database. You will find your Kik app just like when you first install from the Google play store/App store. This is a risky task that will clean your Kik messenger. So, only use this method if your app keeps freezing or crashing continuously.
- Open your mobile settings.
- Tap on Application Manager under the device section.
- Locate and tap on the Kik app.
- Tap on Clear option.
- If you are ready, then tap on, Ok.
On iPhone, clearing the cache means to delete the app. Basically, when you clear a cache of an app, then it will wipe out all the data anyway, so it’s not a big issue to delete the app. Besides, you can re-download the app from the Apps store.
- Open the iPhone settings.
- Tap on the General option.
- Now, tap on the iPhone Storage option, which opens or shows the entire installed app.
- Scroll down and search for the Kik app. Once you find it, then tap on the app.
- Finally, tap on the Delete App option at the bottom.
Now, open the App Store and download the Kik app.
Log out and Back in
If your Kik is not working properly, then log out from the account and log back in. This will take your app to the normal and may fix the issues.
To log out from the Kik app, follow these simple procedures down below.
Note: This process is applicable to both Android and IOS devices.
- Launch the app on your device.
- Tap on the Settings gear icon from the upper right corner.
- Now, tap on the Your Account option. It was the first option inside the settings section.
- Finally, tap on Log Out option.
- Now, once again, log back in using your correct login credentials.
Update Your App
If your app is outdated, then your Kik also not working correctly. An app already includes new features and make changes to the previous one. So, if you don’t keep up with the latest updates, then you cannot work with the app features properly. Besides, updating the app also fixes bugs and error that was causing a problem to access the app and its features.
To update your Kik app, follow these few simple procedures down below.
- Open the Google Play Store from your device.
- Tap on the three horizontal lines from the upper left corner of the screen.
- There, tap on the My Apps & Games option.
- You can update your app from two sections. If there is a new update for your Kik app, then you can find it on the Updates section. From there, you can update the app. Otherwise, go to the Installed section and manually update your app.
Moreover, you can also allow the auto-update option on your device. So, whenever there is a new update for the Kik app, then Google play store automatically updates the app. To do so, follow these steps down below.
- Open the Play store.
- Tap on three horizontal lines, which is located at the upper left corner.
- Now, tap on the Settings option.
- There tap on the Auto-updates apps option.
- Now you can choose two options to update your app. If you select “Over any network,” it will update the app when you use the Wi-Fi and even mobile data. But, if you select “Over Wi-Fi only,” then it updates the Kik app only when you turn on your Wi-Fi network; otherwise, it won’t update the app. So choose wisely.
- Open the App Store.
- Tap on Today, which is located at the bottom side.
- Now, tap on your Profile Icon from the top section.
- Under the Available Updates section, check for an Update for Kik.
- If there is one then, tap on Update. If you also want to update your other entire apps, then tap on Update All.
Update Your Device
If you are running the latest version of the Kik app on your old device or older version of OS (Operating System), then it won’t be compatible with the new system. You have to update your device or reach out for a new one to smoothly run the Kik messenger. Usually, Kik doesn’t need the latest version, but if your mobile OS version is less than 4.4.2 (Android), then it might cause trouble. So update your mobile if your Kik is not working.
For that, follow these steps down below.
- Open your mobile settings.
- Scroll down and tap on the About Device option.
- Now, tap on Software Update.
- In some devices, it automatically updates your device if there is one when you toggle on the Auto-update option. But, if you can’t find that option, then tap on Update. This will check for an update; if there is one, then do update your device. Otherwise, it will show a message, “Your device is up-to-date.”
- Open your mobile settings.
- Tap on the General option.
- Now, tap on the Software Update option.
- It will search for the new Update if there is one, then update your device. If your iPhone already has the latest version of IOS, then it will leave a message “Your Software is up to date.”
Also Read: How to Delete Messages on Kik
Reinstall the Kik App
If the above method doesn’t work, then it’s time to uninstall the app. Maybe your app is not installed properly during the installation process. If this thing occurs, then some of the app features won’t work in the correct path. So, uninstall the Kik app and once again download it from the Google play store/App store.
- Go to the device Settings.
- Tap on the Application Manager option under the Device section.
- Locate and tap on the Kik app.
- Finally, tap on the Uninstall option and Uninstall.
If you feel like the above process is way too long, then long-tap on the Kik app and drag it the Remove option. This will delete/uninstall the app from your device.
- Open the Setting on your device.
- Now, select the General tab.
- After that, select the iPhone Storage option.
- Locate your Kik app and tap on the Delete option.
- Finally, tap on the Confirm button.
Restart Your Device
If all the above method fails, then it’s time to restart your device. When you restart your phone, then it will clear out the device RAM (Random Access Memory). It also restarts the entire installed app and sometimes also helps to clear out the bugs.
For Android users, long-press on the power button until it shows the Restart option. After that, tap on it and simply wait for minutes.
For IOS users, simply long-press the power button, which will switch off the phone. Wait for the 1 minute and then once again open the device.
Kik is still a good messaging app to connect with friends as well as new friends around the world. Even though with the good service, it sometimes causes serious frustrating issues. So, whenever your Kik is not working properly, then do follow the above-mentioned steps.
Moreover, don’t share your private information with unknown people which you have found on Kik. Trust me; it’s not a good way to let other people know your private life on Kik. Besides that, meet new people and have fun.
Do you have any queries? If yes, then leave comments down below.