Auto-download feature in Telegram is quite useful when you don’t want to save each and every Telegram media file manually. But one should always remember that it will fill up your device storage way faster than you think. Plus, you will also see all the unnecessary content that your friends send you on your device. Luckily, you have an option to stop auto download in Telegram.
If you want to disable auto-download media in Telegram, then access your Telegram account. After that, head to three horizontal lines from the left side and tap on settings. Next, select data and storage option. Finally, toggle off all three options under Automatic media download section in order to turn off automatic download in Telegram.
Now Telegram won’t save any images, videos, voice messages, and other files directly in your device gallery, which you have received from your friends. Besides, these steps are for the Telegram mobile app, but how do you stop automatic download videos in Telegram desktop app? How do you disable the auto-download of specific media in Telegram?
Read the whole article and find out your answers.
Table of Contents
How to Stop Auto Download Media in Telegram?
For a reminder, Telegram offers various features such as personal cloud storage, self-destructing media, secret chats, video and voice calls, personal channels and groups as well as auto download media. You can automatically download Telegram content either using mobile data or Wi-Fi.
However, auto-saving your media files from Telegram can consume more data and occupy your device’s internal storage. Unless you change Telegram default storage to SD card or switch to Wi-Fi, you will end up seeing entire Telegram media files on your device.
That’s why here are few simple steps to prevent auto-download in Telegram completely in the official Telegram app and Telegram desktop app. Moreover, this will also stop automatic photo, voice message, and GIF from private chats, groups, and channels.
Note: From now on, you have to manually download your Telegram videos, image, and content. Plus, you can’t stop auto download of your voice message because mainly voice message contains small size.
Turn off Auto Download in Telegram iPhone and Android
If you are using the official Telegram app on your Android and iPhone devices and want to turn off automatic download in the Telegram app, then follow the following steps.
- Open Telegram app.
- Login to your account if necessary.
- Tap on three hamburger icon from the upper left corner.
- Next, tap on settings option from the menu. If you are on IOS, then you can find Telegram settings at the bottom right corner.
- After that, select Data and Storage option. This is where you can manage your Telegram default storage location, usage, data for calls, and more.
- Finally, toggle off automatic media download using mobile data, Wi-Fi, and roaming.
This way, it will disable auto-download Telegram media files whether you are using data or Wi-Fi. This is a perfect option to save your mobile data with just minimum effort.
Disable Telegram Auto Download on PC
Users can also use the Telegram desktop app on their laptops if they don’t have access to a mobile device. You can find all the features in the desktop version of Telegram, just like in the official mobile app. This is a great way to work and chat with your friends at the same time because you don’t have to use your smartphone.
Now for our main topic, just I already said, you can also stop automatic download video on Telegram desktop. But before that, you must download Telegram on your available PC.
Stop Auto Download Media in Telegram Desktop App
Did you have download the Telegram desktop app? If yes, then follow the following steps to disable automatically download in Telegram desktop.
- Open your PC where your Telegram is located.
- Launch Telegram desktop app.
- Click on three horizontal lines from the upper left corner of the screen. An icon looks like a hamburger.
- After that, click on settings.
- From the popup windows, click on Advanced option.
- Under Automatic Media Download section, you can stop auto download from three different sections (Private chats, Groups, Channel). This means you can turn off automatic download videos, images from private chats only, and so on.
- Now, choose your desired option either(private chat, group, channel).
- Next, toggle off photos and files. You can also select the limit size of media from 1 MB up to 2000 MB.
- Finally, click on Save button from the right bottom side.
Stop Auto Download Media in Telegram Web
Unfortunately, you can’t prevent Telegram auto download media in Telegram Web. That’s because there is no such option available for Telegram web to disable automatic download of videos, images, and files.
In case you want to disable auto-download in Telegram web, then just shut it down and move to the Telegram desktop app. There, you can find all the exact same features and options just like in Telegram official app.
How to Stop Auto Download of Specific Media in Telegram?
Interesting news for you! You can also choose specific media in Telegram to stop from auto-downloading. This means you can stop auto download of photos or videos or files only of Telegram.
Most videos and files are in huge size that can fill up your device storage in a flash. Saying that, if you stop auto download of these two, then it will not be hard for your internal storage to breathe. Plus, you will also get rid of seeing the entire unwanted content of your Telegram on your device.
Remember, this is only my opinion; you can do whatever you want. You can choose any media you like on Telegram.
Now, let’s move to the few following steps to disable Telegram auto-download of specific media.
- Launch your Telegram.
- Head to hamburger icon from upper left side.
- Tap on settings.
- Next, tap on data and storage option. In the Telegram desktop app, you can click on advanced.
- Now, select any option (mobile data, Wi-Fi, roaming) under the automatic media download section.
- Finally, select your desired media either (photos, videos, files)
How to Auto Download Media in Telegram?
Do you want to automatically download Telegram media files directly to your mobile device or laptop? Are you interested in automatically saving videos that you have seen somewhere in Telegram private chat, group, or channel?
Ta-daaaa, your thinking turns into reality.
Telegram allows you to auto download media files anywhere from your Telegram account, which you receive. This way, you don’t have to visit Telegram each and every time to watch videos, images, or files.
Do you want to learn how? Then move to the following steps.
- Open Telegram app.
- Tap on three horizontal lines.
- Next, tap on settings.
- After that, select data and storage. In the Telegram desktop app, click on advanced.
- Finally, toggle on under mobile data, Wi-Fi, and roaming.
How to Disable Auto Play Videos in Telegram?
Let’s say you have joined an adult content group or channel in Telegram. The problem is not you have joined an 18+ group or channel but with its content. All the media files will play automatically without opening it. This can leave a bad impression when you are with your family members or in public.
To prevent this act, you can turn off auto-play videos of your Telegram group, channel, and private chat.
So this is how you can do it. First,
- Access your Telegram account.
- Tap on the hamburger icon, which is located in the upper left corner.
- Now select settings.
- After that, tap on data and storage. In the Telegram desktop app, you have to go with the advanced option and click on the individual chat, group, or channel.
- Under Auto play media section, toggle of both GIFs and videos.
Benefit of Disabling Auto-Download Media in Telegram
There are lots of benefits that you will get after disabling auto-download media in Telegram. Have a closer look.
- You can save a lot of mobile data.
- It will make your Telegram app even faster and smoother.
- You can view content way faster and smoother than before.
- Your device storage will have move space.
- Internet connection will be better.
- Low Telegram cache.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can We Pause Downloading in Telegram?
Yes, you can pause whenever you are downloading videos or large content from Telegram.
Why Telegram Auto Downloading Not Working?
If your Telegram downloading is not working, then clear cache, check your Wi-Fi or data connection, speed up your device, update the Telegram app, enable the auto-download feature, free up your device storage.
Lastly, you can stop auto download in Telegram whenever you feel like you receive lots of media files. Also, remember, you can even choose selective media in Telegram to stop them from auto-downloading. Besides, when you have lots of videos to download, then just remember to enable the auto download option.
If you have any other queries regarding Telegram, then don’t hesitate to ask in the comment section.