Google Drive is safe cloud storage that allows users to store files, data, share and synchronize files across devices. You can backup your important data on a drive that you don’t want to lose in the future. Despite of this, some users reported that Google backup and sync not working in Windows 10 as well as Mac.
One of the common reasons to fix Google drive not syncing issue is to resume backup and sync, disable firewall and antivirus, select right Google account, and change proxy settings. After doing this, restart your computer, and your drive syncing will work perfectly as before.
If you find your Google drive still not syncing or you can’t find the backup and sync icon on your PC, then there are still some other methods that you can try. So, make sure to read the complete article.
Shall we start!
How to Fix Google Backup and Sync Not Working?
There are many reasons that why your Google drive not syncing or backup any data or files. Some of them can be lies on your computer, and another can within Google drive. That’s why I have merged all the possible solutions to sync Google drive on your laptop as well as on mobile devices.
Have a closer look.
Check Your Internet Connection
The first thing you can do if your Google drive not working or syncing is to check your internet connection. If you have a weak connection on your computer or mobile devices, then it will be difficult for Google Drive to backup or sync the file. In some cases, it will take a long time to sync a file, but in other cases, your sync will be cancelled.
That’s why make sure you are getting enough Wi-Fi signal and strength. If not, then restart your router. Simply unplug your router for like 15 seconds and plug it back in.
In case your router is not a problem, then you can change your Wi-Fi password. If you have too many users connected to the same Wi-Fi, then it will slow down the sync or backup process. So, either cut off the users or change your internet password. For that,
- Type your internet IP address. It looks like 192.168.1.1.
- Access your router using login credentials.
- Go to the Wireless from the left side panel.
- Select the Wireless Security option.
- Next, change your Wi-Fi password.
Resume Backup and Sync
Sometimes the syncing and backup process on Google drive will stop midway for some reasons. It can be because of an internet connection, or it cannot find any folders to sync files from your device. That’s why check the sync status, whether it’s pause or resume.
For that, simply follow the following few steps down below.
- Click on Backup and Sync icon from the right bottom window bar. If the icon is not visible, then you can click on a small left-faced arrow.
- Next, click on three vertical dots.
- After that, select the resume option if it was on pause.
Check Folder Preferences
Google drive needs to scan a folder in order to backup or sync all the files from it. If it cannot find the folder location, then drive backup and sync will not work. So, you must configure the folder path or location properly on a computer.
To check folder preferences to sync Google drive on Windows 10 and Mac, follow the following steps.
- Click on the Backup and Sync icon from the bottom right bar.
- Next, click on three dots.
- Now, select the Preferences option.
- Click on My computer if it was on Google Drive.
- Now, choose the folder location which you want to sync or backup on your Google drive.
Restart Backup and Sync
When Google Backup and sync are not working properly, then you can restart the process back again. This means stop the drive sync procedure and start from the beginning. This will helps to fix minor issues or errors that cause during the back and sync on your computer.
To restart Google drive backup and sync, firstly,
- Open the Google drive backup and sync settings. Simply click on the sync icon from the bottom right taskbar.
- Click on three vertical dots.
- Next, click on Quit Backup and Sync option.
- Finally, restart Backup and Sync once again.
Disable Firewall Settings
Firewall and antivirus protect the computer from entering unauthorized malware and virus. When you enable those, then it will start to scan your computer in order to protect it. So, if Google drive starts the backup and sync process during that time, then it can block your internet connection or Google drive because of unusual activity. That’s why to disable your firewall and antivirus program during the backup and sync.
If you are also using a VPN on your device or PC, then it can trigger Google’s security algorithms. Being said that, it can block the connection between Google drive and your computer. So, turn off your active VPN to re-establish a secure connection to Google drive.
Re-install Backup and Sync
Google backup and sync is an app that helps to backup your file and data from your computer to Google drive. If the installed version of Backup and Sync is corrupted for some reasons, then you cannot backup and sync files to Google drive. Plus, you will also face a sign-in problem with your Google backup and sync. Saying that it is important to update the backup and sync app.
Follow the steps to update Google backup and sync on Windows 10.
- Press Window key + I at the same time.
- Click on the Apps option.
- Select Apps & features option from the left side menu.
- Now, search for Backup in the search bar.
- Next, click on Uninstall option of Backup and Sync from Google.
- Finally, download the latest version of Google backup and sync.
Allow Google Drive Sync
You have to make sure that Google drive sync and your computer are linked properly if Google backup and sync isn’t connecting or working. If they are not set up correctly, then it will be difficult for Google drive to find the exact folder path location for the backup process.
Now, to check whether Google backup and sync and computer are connected or not, simply,
- Click on the backup and sync icon from the bottom window taskbar.
- Next, click on three dots.
- Select Preferences.
- Under My PC section, see whether the folder is selected or not which you want to sync to drive. If not, then first choose the folder.
- Under the Google Drive section, tick mark on Sync My Drive to this computer option.
- Finally, click on the OK button to save changes.
Select Right Google Account
Are you using a correct Google account for the backup and sync process? If not then you should be.
Nowadays, we are using multiple Google accounts for multiple businesses. This will affect us during the backup and sync process of our files to Google drive. We forget to choose the right Google account for the right file and Google drive.
So, make sure you are selecting the right Google account to backup and sync files to drive. If you are confused about which you have selected for drive sync, then you can check it out. For that, simply click on Backup and sync icon from the right bottom taskbar.
In case you are using the wrong Google account for drive sync and Backup, then you can add your correct account. For that, take a look at the following process.
- Click on Backup and sync icon from the bottom right Window taskbar.
- Click on three vertical dots.
- Select Add New Account option.
- Now, select your other Google account and different folder location.
Change Proxy Settings
If your Google backup and sync not working then maybe you are using a proxy to transfer files. Sometimes, it can stop or disconnect your drive sync process. So, you can check your Backup and sync proxy settings and change it to direct.
Want to know how?
- Click on Backup and sync from the Window taskbar.
- Next, select preferences.
- After that, click on Settings.
- Now, click on Network Settings from the bottom.
- Next, choose the Direct connection option.
- Finally, click on the OK button.
Use Short File Name
When you are syncing the files to Google drive, then you have to select a short name file that is not more than 255 characters. Microsoft doesn’t allow creating files that contain long characters. Results, it will also affect during the Google backup and sync process. So, try to make your folder and files shorter as possible. You can change the name later on when it was successfully Backup and sync to your Google drive.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Google Drive Sync Automatically?
Yes, Google drive syncs automatically those files that are not a part of any folders. You have to backup or sync files manually if you choose it from your computer folder.
How to Know If Google Drive is Syncing?
You can open backup and sync icon from the bottom right taskbar to check if Google drive is syncing or not.
Is Backup and Sync the Same as Google Drive?
Backup and sync is an app that helps to store all the files from your computer to your Google drive.
That’s it. Now you can easily sync files and folders to your Google drive. So, if Google drive sync and Backup not working or logging, then remember to follow the above-mentioned methods. Also, always enable your internet connection and check its strength from time to time. It is the essential thing for Backup and sync to transfer files to your Google drive.
If you have any queries related to Google drive or Backup & sync then let us know in the comment section.