If you are a long term Windows user, then you already might know that the Windows OS sometimes causes some head-scratching things. The problem starts to occur on opening a PC or closing, device lagging, quickly battery drainage, overheating, excessive memory usage, overrunning apps without permission, and more. Not all these issues happen at the same time – it actually differs from computer to computer. Although you can solve these issues with the Troubleshooter over time, but you still get the same problem. So, resetting your computer is the only and best way to get rid of these Windows 10 issues. Today we are going to look at how to reset Windows 10 to default factory settings in this article.
Resetting your Windows 10 is like a system restore that returns your PC to its default state. When you reset your computer, you actually erase all the files and apps which you have created or installed on your computer. Not only that, but resetting also helps you to remove all the viruses and malware, which is making home in your PC. It’s a solid, safe, and reliable method to increase the health of your computer system.
Windows 10 offers two different options to reset your PC to its default factory settings. One is using the keep my files, and another is remove everything option. There are slight differences between these two methods, which give different results after the reset completion. So, we are going to use both of the options to reset your Windows 10. Besides, whichever options you choose, you can improve your PC performance a lot better than before.
So without any further delay, let’s move. But before that, there are some important things which you should know before resetting your PC to its default factory settings.
Things to Do Before Reset Your Windows 10 to Default Factory Settings
Backup Your Files
If you are going to reset your Windows 10 due to any system issues, then first, there is always one thing you should remember “Backup.” It’s a good idea to regularly backup your PC if you are using it to work your office work. You might have important files that you don’t want to lose in any condition.
Backing up your data is not only essential to keep you on the same track as before but also helps in case your system crashes during the factory reset time. Suppose you have many important files on your computers, like your personal portfolio or your own personal business documents. All those files are necessary for your future financial, and if you forget to back up those files during the computer reset, then what will you do? You lost everything things which you are building up for a very long time. That’s why a backup is essential if you don’t want to get in huge trouble just because you didn’t reserve them in a safe place.
You can use various methods to backup your files, documents, or images, such as by using Google Drive, OneDrive, or Dropbox. These online tools automatically backup the files which you allow them, and you can easily access them if you have an internet connection. All these tools have a free plan which provides the users with a GB (Gigabytes) of free storage. And you can also get TB (Terabytes) of storage by upgrading them when you need more storage.
Store/Save Your Purchased Software Serial Numbers
When you reset or wipe out your PC then all installed software will be gone. This means you have to once again download the software and install it on your PC. But what if you have purchased software and don’t know its serial key. In this situation, you don’t have other options to re-purchase the software.
So, to escape from this dreadful situation, save your purchased software serial key or numbers. If you know the serial numbers then later on you can use it to activate the software in your new PC.
Belarc Advisor list all the software and its serial numbers in case you have forgotten them. Just download the software and install it on your PC and leave the rest.
How to Reset Windows 10 to Default Factory Settings
Resetting Windows is also a great option if you are going to sell your old PC. Do you want to sell your computer along with your personal data and files? Of course not right? It’s like buy one and get one free scheme. So if you don’t want to give owner access to your all-important files including purchased software then resetting Windows can save your life.
Now, after you back up all the important files and documents from your computer in a safe place, it’s time to use the below-mentioned 2 simple steps.
Windows Settings Method
Here we are going to use the normal or default Windows settings to reset Windows 10 to default factory settings. Another important thing before the reset is that a system will give two choices whether to hard reset or just remove the apps but keep your personal files. You can select two different options according to your desire.
But in this article, we will show you both ways and the impact of these options after your reset.
Using Keep My Files Option
So let’s get started with the help of simple procedure down below:
- First, open the Settings from the Windows search bar located in the bottom left side in the taskbar.
- Now, select the Update & Security option, which takes you to the new page consist of all Windows 10 settings.
- So, click on the Recovery option, which is situated on the left side of the panel.
- Now, click on the Get started button which is under the Reset this PC option.
- Here you can see two different options to reset your Windows 10 computer. So we choose to Keep my files option.
- After that, wait for a couple of minutes for the further process. Besides, it depends on the speed of your PC.
- Now, your system is ready to reset. So it will keep all your personal files but remove all apps and programs from your PC. And if you want to see the list of apps which is going to be removed from your PC after the reset then, click on “List of apps to be removed.”
- Once you are ready, then click on the Reset button to take your PC back to its default factory settings.
- Now, during the reset period, your PC will restart several times, so don’t do anything until your computer successfully resets to its default factory settings.
- After the completion, you will be required to choose several options. So choose the Continue, and it again takes you to the Windows main screen.
So these are the steps to easily reset Windows 10 to default factory settings. Now you will feel like your PC is working way better and faster than previously.
Now let’s move to another option to reset your Windows 10.
Using Remove Everything
So basically, here you choose this option; it removes all your files, folders, apps, and program from your computer. It’s like a hard reset which will wipe out everything you have in your PC. So you should be very careful regarding this option as you will find anything in your system after the completion.
Besides, if you haven’t backup your important files and folders and do not want to erase your personal documents, then you can choose the above first option.
But if you already backup your personal files and want to get rid of lagging and the slow running system, then use this Remove everything option. So, let’s get started with the procedure down below.
- Just like in the above steps, open the Settings of Windows from the Windows search bar.
- Select the Update and Security option.
- Now, click on the Recovery option from the left side of the screen.
- After that, click on the Get started under the Reset this PC section.
- Now, choose the Remove Everything option.
- So, here you can also change the settings to customize your reset program. Just click on the Change Settings, and you can find two different available options.
- If you are selling your PC to another person, then turn on the Data erasure toggle switch. And if you want to erase everything from your all drives, then turn on the Data Drives switch. However, if you didn’t want both of them and just want to refresh your computer, then the default setting is good enough.
- So, if you just want a normal refresh, then skip the 7 number step and click on the Next button.
- Now, finally, click on the Reset button, and your job is done.
So, wait for a couple of minutes to let it complete the reset process. After the successful completion, you can see that your PC turns back to its default position, which feels just like buying a new computer from the market.
Windows 10 Reset Using Command Prompt Method
Windows users can also reset their Windows 10 to default factory settings using the CMD method. There’s not a vast difference between these two methods; you just have to follow more steps in the normal Windows settings method than CMD.
So, if you are in a hurry and quickly want to reset your computer, then use the Command prompt method as it directly opens the System recovery page and also provides the same result.
- Go to the Windows search section in the taskbar.
- Now type cmd then right-click and open it by using Run as Administrator.
- After that, the type command systemreset and then press enter. This will take you directly to the two available options.
- Now, choose the option according to your desire and click on the Next button.
Finally, click on the reset option, and you are done.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Resetting Delete Everything?
If you choose the Keep My Files option then it won’t delete your personal files and data. It only deletes or removes the installed software. However, if you choose to Remove Everything option then it will reset your Windows back to its default including your files and data.
What Happens If I Factory Reset My Laptop?
If you factory reset your laptop/computer then it will take your PC back to its default settings. It will also remove or erase all the data, personal files, installed software. However, you can choose the option of whether to keep or remove your personal files during the reset process.
Is the Factory Reset Bad For Your Computer?
Factory reset usually takes your computer back to its default settings or mode. So, basically, it won’t hurt your PC. You will just lose the installed software, data, and files from your computer. After the factory reset your computer looks like you have just brought it from the market. So, don’t worry that much about the factory reset.
Can Resetting PC Remove Viruses?
When you factory reset then it erases or removes all the data that are stored in your hard drive. It also removes the viruses because viruses can’t harm your pc itself. It needs to corrupt or takeover the data of your computer and start to spread in your PC. So basically, resetting PC can remove viruses.
Now you have a clear idea on how to reset your Windows 10 to default factory settings after going through the above article. If you want a successful result, make sure to head through the whole article. Besides, you can choose any one method to reset your PC; results will be the same.
Furthermore, do not forget to backup all your personal files and documents before pressing the reset button. Otherwise, you will lose each and everything which is kept on your computer. As we all know, prevention is far better than cure.
Was this article helpful to successfully reset your PC? Throw your answers in the comment section down below.
Thank you for reading our article.