Kik Messenger also called Kik, an app from the Canadian company Kik interactive Inc. It is a freeware smart-phone instant messaging client application, available free of charge on iOS, Android operating systems, and Windows phone devices. But it’s no longer available on Symbian-based or BlackBerry 4.6 – 7 phones, you can’t download or register a new account on these devices. Kik is known for its features preserving clients’ anonymity, For example, permitting clients to register without giving a phone number; in any case, the Kik application logs client IP addresses, which the organization can use to decide area.
Kik is an instant messaging application that lets you receive and transmit Text messages, Photos, GIFs, Videos, Sketches, and many more within the app. Kik uses your data plan or Wi-Fi connection to send and receive messages. You can also meet new people and connect with new peoples in Kik messenger but Kik is not a dating app.
History of Kik
A group of students from the University of Waterloo in Canada found the company Kik Interactive in 2009. They wished to create new technologies for use on mobile smart-phones. Kik Messenger is the first smart-phone application developed by Kik Interactive, released on October 19, 2010. Within the 15 days of its release date, Kik Messenger reached 1million of user registration, and Twitter got credited as a catalyst for the Kik messenger’s popularity.
On November 24, 2010, RIM (Research in Motion) removed Kik Messenger from BlackBerry App World. It also limited the features and functions of the software for its users. RIM took legal action against Kik Interactive for patent infringement and misuse of trademarks. The companies settle the lawsuit with the terms undisclosed in October 2013.
In November 2014, Kik announced a $38.3 million Series C funding round and buying GIF Messenger “Relay,” its first acquisition. By this time, Kik had raised a total of $70.5 million.
On August 16, 2015, Kik received a $50 million investment from Chinese Internet giant Tencent, the parent company of WeChat. The investment earned a billion-dollar valuation.
In 2017 Kik decided against more VC funding instead of raising high profile initial coin offering (ICO) and sold “Kin” digital tokens to the contributors. In November 2017, Windows removed Kik Messenger from the Windows Store. Neither the developers nor Microsoft have provided a statement or an explanation on the removal of the Kik messenger.
The Kin Coin officially released on the Kik platform in Beta in July 2018.
The Kin foundation released the Kinit Beta App on the Google Play Store, restricted to US residents only. Kin offers different ways of spending and earning the Kin coin in 2018.
In September 2019, Kik’s CEO and founder Ted Livingston announced in a blog post that Kik would be shut down on October 19, 2019, to focus on the Kin coin ongoing legal battle with the SEC. And further, he announced that over 100 employees would be laid off.
On October 13, 2019, the founder of Kik announced that the app would remain, and in its blog, he announced Medialab acquired Kik Messenger.
Features of Kik Messenger
Some of in additional features that attract the user to use this application are listed below.
- Group Conversation/Chat: You can join a group chat with up to 49 other users.
- Kik Codes: Helps you add friends and join the group faster and easier.
- Message Receipt Notifications: Notify by sent and delivered of messages.
- Bots: Provides users with a fun, engaging, and useful service, all through chat.
- Profile Integration: Customize the profile image and contact information.
- Live Typing: You can see typing a live message in the chatbox.
- Chat Customization: You can customize chat with colors and chats bubbles.
- Free Video Chat: Real-time video calls with a friend for free.
- Connect automatically: you will get a notification of a new friend who joined Kik and helps you connect with the friend.
If you think these features are cool and useful for you, you can also get Kik messenger on your smart-phone. Kik is available for both the device iOS Apple and Android operating systems; download it from App Store and Google Play Store according to your device. How?-Go through the headings below to download Kik messenger in your device.
How to Download Kik Messenger in Android? (Google Play Store)
- Open Google Play Store on your smart-phone.
- If you haven’t signed in yet, sign in using the Gmail account.
- Now click on the “Search for apps & games.”
- After that type, Kik and click on the magnifying glass to search the app.
- Now choose the Official app from the list and click on the app.
- Now you will see Install; after that, click on the Install button and wait!
- Finally, click on the Open or you can also find a downloaded app on the Home screen of your device.
You have successfully downloaded Kik Messenger in your device. Now you can create one account of Kik to get started with Kik messenger and enjoy it.
How to Download Kik Messenger in iOS? (App Store)
- Open App Store.
- Sign in to Apple ID if you haven’t signed in yet.
- After you open the App store, click on the magnifying glass icon to search the app from the bottom right corner of the App Store.
- Now you will see Search, after that click in the text area of Search.
- Now type, Kik in the text field, and after that search the app.
- Finally, click on the GET and confirm with the side button or prompt on the screen.
- You can access the Kik app from the “Home screen” of your device.
You have successfully downloaded Kik Messenger in your iOS device. Now you can create one account; if you don’t know how to create a Kik account, then go to the article.
How to Download Kik Messenger on PC? ( Android Emulator Software)
Whereas Kik is a freeware smart-phone instant messaging client application, available on iOS and Android operating systems, Kik doesn’t have any PC version. But to use Kik on your PC, you have to download Android Emulator Software before you download Kik on your PC.
If you don’t know how to download Android Emulator Software or an application from Android Emulator Software, then we have an article on How to Use a Social App in PC/Windows? you can click on the link to access the article and you will find a guide on how to download and install an app from Android Emulator Software.
There you go, here in this article, I have made you familiar with Kik messenger by explaining to you about the Kik messenger app and its history in short. You can also go through its features mention above, which is the main attraction of the Kik messenger app. If you think Kik is a useful app for you and will help you out with instant messaging, then you can download it. To download Kik in your device, you can follow the step-by-step procedure mentioned above. I hope this article will be helpful to you.
If you have any questions about this article or any topic, then you can leave us a comment in the comment section below. And you can also visit our Official website Online Help Guide for more helpful guides on Kik Messenger.